Aboutthe Babylon Village Historical Society Museum
The property on which the museum stands was donated by the children of Henry Livingston, who resided across the street and edited his paper, the Southside Signal, in a building adjacent to it.
The museum property was left to the people of Babylon with the stipulation that it would be developed for community use. A campaign was commenced to start a library and the building was completed to house the library.
When the library moved to South Carll Avenue in 1969, the Historical Society was formed. The museum was developed over fifty years ago.
Babylon was originally known as Huntington South. The farmers from Huntington would come to the South Shore for the salt hay, which grew along our shores. In 1872, Babylon separated from Huntington and the village was incorporated in 1893.
The railroad first came to Deer Park in 1842, and stagecoaches came to
the village and down to the dock to meet the ferries to Fire Island and Oak
Beaches. By the time the railroad came to Babylon, in the late 1800's, we
became a booming resort town with hotels and large estates. It was known
as the "gilded age", 1870-1890.
During the 30's and 40's railroad people lived here; aircraft corporations provided employment prior to World War II and during the war, and for many years following.
The estates in the area provided employment, as did the waterfront for the clamming and fishing boats, and recreation.
Following World War II, our village became a commuter community, as it is today.
Come visit us!We are located at:
117 West Main Street
Babylon, NY 11702
Thank you, come visit us!